Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Bug Issues

I hate bugs.  Can't stand them.  Any of them.  Spiders, flies, ants, anything.  Gross! Just talking about it gives me the shivers.

Lucky for me we are in the middle of a Cicada infestation in Missouri.  Well I am not sure most people would consider it an infestation, but I do.  What is really going on is that in addition to the normal yearly cicadas in the area, we are also experiencing the 13-year and 17-year cicada cycles at the same time.

So what are we looking at?

Ughhh.  They are creepy looking, aren't they!

Right now our apartment isn't being affected too much, but at my work in Fulton they are awful.  They are infiltrating people's houses and our buildings.  Their shells are just laying around all over the walkways.  I even found one in the downstairs bathroom, and am puzzled how they find their way into every crevice.  All I can hear all day is their "song" which is a constant kind of buzzing noise.  When I walk to my car I feel like they are flying into my hair.

I tried researching them to find out if they were at all useful creatures.  They aren't.  While the do not harm humans they sometimes bite.

What what is even more disturbing about them is that some people in Mid-Missouri are eating them!

(Cicada Pizza via The Columbia Missourian)

A whole pamphlet full of cicada recipes.

I was even told that a local ice cream place in town, Sparky's, made a cicada ice cream that sold out in 30 minutes.


Sorry if this puts a bad taste in your mouth.  I think my skin is crawling now!

Enjoy the beautiful weather and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment