Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

GRE studying does not equal a good time

You would think that since I am currently not working, I would have all the time in the world to blog.  This is not the case.

First, this new puppy of mine has occupied a lot of time.  I have to pretty much chase her around and know where she is at every moment to make sure she isn't chewing something or getting into all kinds of trouble.  Plus she has to go outside every hour.  That makes it hard to concentrate on much of anything for an extended period of time.

Second, in one week I am taking the GRE.  A few weeks ago a bought this book to study from, but was not as  studious as I should have been.

Sure I opened it up quite a few times, but nothing close to what I should have done-  especially considering it has been a while since I had personally studied anything academic.  So for the past few days I have buckled down and got to studying.  It is tedious, but must be done.  To motivate myself I keeping concentrating on how I have been dreaming of going to graduate school for a few years now, and that this test is necessary.

Things I have learned through studying for the GRE:
1. My vocabulary sucks.  I never knew there were so many words that I would need to know.  Some I have never heard of and I think they sound like the book's authors created them to trick us.  Seriously, they are that crazy!

2. It is surprising how easily I start to remember algebra and geometry concepts.  I haven't had these kind of topics since sophomore year in high school.  So it has been a while.  However, the more problems I do the more I remember.  

3. Standardized tests are ridiculous.  I am not sure how knowing how to find the hypotenuse of a triangle is a good indicator of academic success is graduate school, but I guess that is the system.  

Anyways, I guess I am done feeling sorry for myself and get back to studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment