Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Loving this Midwest Weather

I have lived in the Midwest for most of my life but never have I seen such crazy weather as I have this winter.

Pretty much since winter began, we have just been a dumping ground for snow.  Schools have been out of session so many days this year, it is impossible to make them all up.

Then in February we got a legit blizzard, for real!  It started snowing at 8am on February first and by the next morning we had 17 inches!
Out our backdoor

Out the front door

Our cars the next morning

We didn't even have a snow shovel at our apartment, so we had to dig our cars out with garbage cans!  Thank goodness we weren't the only ones - most of our neighbors didn't have shovels either.  

For a while the weather died down a bit.  We even got some weather in the upper 60s and 70s.  Hello spring!  But still people were talking about more snow.  According to the Farmers' Almanac, they were predicting another huge snowstorm for Missouri, and all these Missouri people really listen to their Almanac.  My co-worker said her parents plan their lives around it - like the best time to stop smoking or the best time to have a kid.  I personally thought it was crazy and decided not to believe there was no snow coming.

This past Sunday night, I was checking the weather for the week as I always do before bed.  Looking at Monday's forecast it looked cold and rainy - and then I heard them say snow.  Wait - I must have been tired!  Did they really say snow?  Yes and there was snow.  Wet, heavy snow.  It snowed all day Monday.


The initial accumulations were only supposed to be a few inches, but half way through the day a winter weather advisory was issued with it reaching up to 8 inches.   It is hard to say how much we really got since most of it was a sloppy, slushy mess.  I soaked through my flats and ended up wearing my sneakers at work all day (it was Spring Break for students so no one was here to see me breaking dress code rules).

Then yesterday the sun was shining, most of the snow melted, and it felt like spring again!

Today it will be up to 60 degrees and tomorrow 70!

While I am not usually a spring/summer lover (I love the crispness of the fall), I am ready for this nice warm weather!  I am even on board for the hubby looking at jobs in the south, preferably the Carolinas.  Hopefully this Monday's winter weather was the almanac's predicted snow fall and we can move on.  I don't think I can take much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment