Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Weekend Movie Marathon

This past weekend I finally had some "me time" I have been needing really bad.  Just a day to sit back on the couch in my sweatpants, throw my hair back in a ponytail, and watch some movies.  The hubby did some extra work this weekend, so I had the couch all to myself and was free to choose any movie of my liking.  I was prepared for this lazy day by borrowing some movies from a friend the night before!

While I did start the day off productive doing about 4 loads of laundry, I quickly succumbed to the comfy couch and started my movie marathon.

First up, Inglorious Basterds.

Since I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel, here is the synopsis according to IMDb (the best website for anything related to movies!):

"In Nazi occupied France, young Jewish refugee Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the slaughter of her family by Colonel Hans Landa. Narrowly escaping with her life, she plots her revenge several years later when German war hero Fredrick Zoller takes a rapid interest in her and arranges an illustrious movie premiere at the theater she now runs. With the promise of every major Nazi officer in attendance, the event catches the attention of the "Basterds", a group of Jewish-American guerilla soldiers led by the ruthless Lt. Aldo Raine. As the relentless executioners advance and the conspiring young girl's plans are set in motion, their paths will cross for a fateful evening that will shake the very annals of history."

I am a fan of Quentin Tarantino movies, so I have been dying to see it since it came out years ago.  Since I am no movie critic, and talking about the "cinematographic elements" or whatever movie snobs talk about is boring, so I will talk about the enjoyment factor.  This movie is enjoyable to those who can get past bad language, and some gore.  Out of all of Tarantino's movies, this is the least graphic and easiest to digest.  I came away from it not feeling completely disturbed, which is different than his other movies like Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction (which are good in their own way).

Next, I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine:


 (IMDb again)

This movie tell the back story to Wolverine that the X-Men movies touch on a bit.  Any movie with Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds is good in my eyes.  Other than the eye candy, it was fun to watch.  There were some cool fight scenes.  While it wasn't the most amazing movie I have seen, I think it a must see for those who like superhero movies.

My movie watching marathon was interrupted by the hubby home from work.  However, I forgave him when he suggested going to the movies so see something new.  Although I wanted to see Cedar Rapids (but it wasn't at any of the local theaters anymore) and The Adjustment Bureau (but the hubby doesn't really like dramas) I compromised with Take Me Home Tonight.    






For me it wasn't the greatest comedy - or the worst.  It was nice to sit through but I probably will never watch it again.


My movie marathon weekend ended with Sherlock Holmes on Sunday after church and brunch.  That was probably the best movie I watched all weekend.  I really enjoyed the humor of Robert Downey Jr. and the action of the movie kept up nicely.


And if you think I sit around and act like a bum every weekend that is not true! A girl just needs one of those days every once in a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment